Friday, October 19, 2012

Soy Milk and Quilting

It's been several days since I posted anything here, obviously. Kristy has had some tasty looking recipes. As for me...I've hit a vegan dry spell. I tried coming up with a new recipe for Jicama and Radish salad, but it was a dud. I moved on, but couldn't think of anything else worthy of posting.

I did try to find a suitable substitute for my favorite breakfast of Greek yogurt with honey and berries, but the only vegan yogurt I found out here in the boonies was Soy. I was excited to try it, though my experience with Soy milk was that it was pretty foul. I am not a milk drinker anyway, though I do use milk on cereal and occasionally as an accompaniment to Oreos, but I rarely drink it straight. I've tried Soy milk and hated it, so I had my doubts about the Soy yogurt.

I wish I could say that my opinion of Soy dairy had changed after trying the yogurt, but sadly, it was only solidified. I'm usually pretty good about new flavors, but the Soy is just something I cannot stomach. Sorry Soy lovers, I tried. Now, if I could find the Coconut yogurt anywhere, we might have a deal.

I still have 4 yogurts left and I will probably use them in smoothies so they won't go to waste, but I'll most likely add honey to that making them a non-vegan recipe. I doubt I'll post that.

So, on to something non-food related...

About a year and a half ago my sweet nephew was born, adopted by my brother and sister in-law, and brought into our lives. I call him "Short, Dark, and Handsome" and he is my little buddy. I get to see him most of the week and he's as much a part of my life as my own children are. We are lucky to have him in our family.

When we knew for sure he was going to be here, I immediately started a quilt for him. Now my record of starting quilts is greater than my record of finishing them, but this one, I was determined to finish. I needed a simple but striking design and found one at the Moda Bake Shop. A very clever and useful site with tons of great free patterns.

I found some fabric locally and got to work. Here are some of the pictures...


Here's where I laid out just how I wanted the blocks to go



This is the top pieced together. You can see it's a tad wonky...



This is the back. 



Lovely shot of my walking foot and  the quilting process. Again you can see how wonky the blocks are. 


                               

This is the finished product. Wonky or not, I still like how it turned out. 


Front

                                                             Back
                                                                                                       


So all in all, I was happy with the finished quilt. Here is the pattern if you'd like to try it yourself. I hope to get back to vegan food soon. Thanks for reading!

Danna






3 comments:

  1. For milk substitute, go rice, not soy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty quilt!! I agree with CK - ricemilk is a better "gateway milk." (All of the 'milks' taste better after a good long break from cow's milk.) I recommend Rice Dream - you might like vanilla rice dream, if your main use is for cereal, smoothies, etc. In my opinion, the brand makes a big difference. Good subs for honey are real maple syrup or agave syrup (Whole Foods.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt looks wonderful!! Great job!! I absolutely adore quilting -- it' such a stress reliever and sense of accomplishment, isn't it? Anyhow, have you tried almond milk? They're also making almond milk yogurt too -- http://sodeliciousdairyfree.com/products/almond-milk-yogurts

    It's much better than the soy yogurt (in my opinion).

    ReplyDelete