Friday, October 5, 2012

Oh For the Love of Carrots!

The title of this post can be spoken with different inflections and the meaning will change. My son will say it with an exasperated surly tween voice, or just sigh and roll his eyes. Carrots are the only vegetable I can get him to eat on a regular basis without him gagging. It's a constant struggle to get him to eat anything remotely healthy. Carrots, for the moment, are it.

My husband will eat them if they are there. He finally admitted, after about 10 years of marriage, that he does not like cooked carrots. Glad I knew that...

My daughter and I on the other hand, LOVE carrots. She will eat them cooked, but prefers them raw. I will eat them cooked or raw, but there is one way I will not eat them;
CANDIED.

Candied carrots are just wrong. In my opinion, carrots need to be raw, steamed, saute'd, sometimes in a cake, or nothing at all.

I find that most people either love them or abhor them, but the first vegan recipe I decided to try/make up while lying awake in the middle of the night, is...Curry Roasted Carrot Soup.

Now there may be something like this already out there, but I honestly did not look this up online.

Here's what I bought;

A bundle of whole carrots
Fresh Garlic
White Onion
Veggie Stock

Things I had:

Curry powder (the yellow kind found in every grocery, though I think any kind will work)
Kosher salt
EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)

What I did:

Chop the veggies roughly into same size pieces (4 big carrots, 2 large cloves of garlic, 1 small onion)
Roast said veggies with EVOO, 1 t curry powder, and salt in a 400 degree oven (my fav. temp) turning every so often to even the color.
Puree the veggies (add 1C veg stock to help with this process)
Press the puree through a sieve to remove any chunks though it will still have texture after you do
Stir the veggie stock (additional 1C) into the puree until you get the consistency you like (I also added 1C of water)


I served this warmed with a side of mashed avocado with salt and lime on Triscuit crackers.


Today was cold and rainy and this was the perfect lunch to warm me up. The curry compliments the carrots perfectly and the color is nice and sunny, especially on a gloomy day like today.

Give this a try, tweak it to your liking and let me know what you think.

Danna





No comments:

Post a Comment